Wednesday 26 February 2014

LESO YANGU


This is a photo of my first leso ever on the hanging line being swayed by the wind. Although, my mother now makes use of it. For those who do not know, a leso is a light, rectangular piece of cotton fabric often with a border along its four sides, which has various colours, prints and in most cases has a Swahili proverb printed on it. I bought this leso because I needed an attire for my performance on stage. (hahaha! See how I made it sound like I'm some popular performer). I was taking part in my first inter-house drama competition in high school. I thought I nailed my part (it was a little lengthy) however, I came to realize that it sucked (bows head in shame). I then accepted that I wasn't born to act.

Last year, our awesome housekeeper (she cooks really delicious food), sent me to Eastleigh to buy her a leso while I was buying a few other things. She pointed out how her other leso was getting worn out. She really loves her leso this woman. She always wears it, when she is washing the house, the dishes, ironing, cooking and sits on it when basking in the sun. When it is cold, she uses her leso to cover her body.
She is not the only one. Many other women get attached to their lesos as well.

Lesos have been in existence for years. They serve various purposes.

1. Communication. Lesos have various sayings printed on them, therefore they can be used to communicate a message of love, a message of hatred or an educational message.


Mla nawe hafi nawe ila mzaliwa nawe.
A message which generally points out that blood is thicker than water.


A message that points out that only God decides.


2. Lesos are also used as veils and headscarfs


I was going to weed the backyard with that leso on my head. You know, like the way women go to the shamba with lesos on their heads. lol. My father complained that I eat too much of his food and that I need to do something constructive. So weeding it was.

3. Lesos are also used as shawls.

4. Sometimes they serve as aprons. Some of you may not have thought of it this way. You simply tie them around your body so that you do not mess your clothes while doing house chores.

5. Lesos have such beautiful prints and colours that they are used as material on shoes and accessories.



See how beautiful this is??...yes??


Though I think the material used is kitenge. Sorry I could not get photos of leso accessories :(
You can check out more on this page African Kitenge/Leso/Khanga Fabric.

6. Lastly, lesos are used to make beautiful shirts, dresses, skirts and shorts.



My leso wrapper skirt.


Leso inspired dress.


Even Michelle has a little of leso inspiration on her top


Rihanna too!!!

I hope y'all enjoyed my post. If I left out anything concerning lesos feel free to comment. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment