Saturday 5 July 2014

DON'T TOUCH MY HAIR!!

This post is long overdue! I have been thinking of writing about hairstyles as a form of art for months, however....mmmh well, aaah life!! Anyway,it's here now :-)

I got inspired to write this post one Saturday evening (correct me if I am wrong), when my father and I were watching Citizen TV's fashion reviews. You know, the one where Lillian Muli, Adelle and company imitate Joan Rivers' Fashion Police..Then my dad suddenly said, "Even this one with the funny hair is telling people how to dress?". Lol! I do find her hairstyle interesting, though I do not think I can pull that off. In case some of you are wondering what I am talking about, take a look at this photo.


I keep thinking she and a couple of ladies I have seen in Nairobi have drawn some inspiration from Turkana women.


Now, my intention is not to make fun of the style but rather to show that hairstyles do have an origin.

Different women and even men, from different cultures had various ways of expressing themselves through hairstyles unique to them.

DREADLOCKS

I'm absolutely crazy about guys with NEAT locs! I'm told it's weird but whatever. I even pray (on most days) that I get married to a handsome, smart man with breathtaking locs. I'm not sure my folks will ever warm up to the idea but...imma keep praying anyway hoping he will come around.


Dreadlocks work really well with afro hair due to its ability to really tangle and form knots. It is believed that dreadlocks originated form Africa and were introduced to foreign lands like Jamaica by African Slaves. Some say that locs were an expression of bondage and rejection. They were (I guess they still are) associated with Ras Tafari Haile Selassie who was, at some point, an Emperor of Ethiopia and Bob Marley as well.


They were also associated with drugs and filth but I guess that mentality is slowly fading away. Though change is not for everyone.

Nowadays so many men and women have adopted the style and I think it is rather cool!





BRAIDS


Braids or plaits can be achieved either using natural hair or hair extensions.





Braiding is an art that was popular in different cultures and it brought people together as it took quite some time to be completed and usually the help of another person was needed. Younger girls also learned from older women through observation. Some even went ahead to practice with grass. Braiding can be done in several different ways.

BRAID EXTENSIONS, WEAVES AND WIGS

It is believed that hair extensions originated from ancient Egypt! Quite frankly I would have guessed India or Brazil. O.o
Anyway, apparently Egyptians loved hair extensions, they had them in so many designs. They were not only an art but they also expressed someone's social and financial status. Wigs protected their shaven heads from the harsh sun. ( IKR, Who would have guessed?)





CAUTION:  You should really be careful when using hair extensions. Misusing them could cost you your hairline!

I could go on and on but this should do for now :)
Hope you have learned something new.




2 comments: