Saturday 19 April 2014

THE NEIGHBOURS

Shuu! I really cannot believe that it has been one whole month since I last wrote something. Gosh, indeed I have been very lazy! Shame on me. Anyway, I really hope y'all are having a wonderful holiday!!Yesterday night I went to eat out with the family.


Such a wonderful time we had.

Today has been such a slow day for me that I decided to look through my window hoping that I would see something interesting happening at the wall. The wall is part of a stone wall fence which is behind our house. Usually I find couples kissing there, men whispering sweet nothings to women (I really do not understand why) or some random person sleeping in a funny position.

The wall.

Unfortunately, there was nothing happening at the wall today so I decided to observe the neighbours in the field. The neighbours in the field are a group of Maasai who live in a big field behind our house. I like watching them because I find their way of living rather interesting. The way they live and the way we live, yet we are 'neighbours' is interesting. I guess the comparison is what fascinates me most.

The field behind our house.

Usually, the neighbours let their cattle graze in the field and when it rains and the field floods, that becomes their temporary source of water. They live in makeshift houses made of mud, old iron sheets and wood just right next to Wilson airport.


I hope y'all can see the houses. The resolution is not too good. I apologize for that. It is amazing how they have lived comfortably in these houses for two years (and counting).

The neighbours' children herding sheep and goats after school. All I ever did after school was run to the fridge then watch a little TV if not going outside to play.

One of the neighbours herding his animals near the wall. Look at how comfortable he is wearing 'akala' and his leso tied around his waist. I wonder if my father can just chill in the house with a leso tied around his waist. Lol!

The neighbours' cows running away from the rain.

Recently I saw a young girl doing her #2 in the field. Another day it was a young boy next to his mother who was busy gathering firewood. (Meaning no microwave or gas cooker)
I began to wonder where the rest of them 'answered their calls of nature',how often they take showers and where. I'm yet to find out these things.

Anyway, every time I observe the neighbours I wonder how it would be like to live like them. It's like that fence behind our house not only separates us and the neighbours physically but it does so in every other way.

Window thoughts and observations I wanted to just share.

No comments:

Post a Comment